First, a little fun block I made for a local COVID 19 quilt happening here in Taos.
This was so enjoyable, I fully intend to make another one.
Moving on….I made a couple sheer window panels using Ruby Red Oakshott Cottons. These are hand stitched using a Korean art called Pojagi. No raw edges on the seams.
Doesn’t look like much until you get some beautiful backlighting in the picture:
So sheer, and so elegant. I wish I had a place for them in my house! These are available in my Etsy shop, link on the menu bar.
And, I finally got the binding on my selvage quilt. This was sooo enjoyable to make. After years of saving selvages, it was fun to pull them out, read them, and recall the fabrics and how they were used. I had to have some kind of order to work from, so I grouped them into similar color groups.
Selvages need some kind of foundation. Muslin and dryer sheets are what I’ve seen most often used. Even fine paper – but I did NOT want to rip all that paper out after sewing. I decided to try a water soluble stabilizer:
This worked so very well. I cut squares of the stabilizer and topstitched the selvages onto each square. Once I had all the squares I wanted, I sewed those together as well. THEN I soaked the top in a tub of water. The stabilizer dissolved in ten seconds. I dried the top flat on the ground and that was it! I was able to avoid the weight and bulk of the added muslin.
I will say that most of my selvages were too narrow. I’ve learned to give myself at least 1/2″ above the wording when cutting them.
I could show you ALL 30 blocks, but I’ll be nice.
Front and back:
When I was done, most of the good selvages were gone, but not all. So I went on a little zip crush..
Back to the longarm. Thanks for checking in!